Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce Sarah Soquel Morhaim – so much more than my assistant. I say that because she is her own strong writer, director, photographer, and artist that I some how convinced to come aboard our little ship Beginners. At our first meeting, I had been to acupuncture just before and I had no idea the acupuncturist left one of the needles dangling out of the back of my head - so after about an hour of me and Sarah talking she very calmly mentioned that perhaps there was something sticking out of my head then very gently just reached over and pulled the dangly needle out. Could anything make me want to hire a person more? Sarah was amazing helping me with our crazy rehearsals, my first sounding board for writing ideas I had at the last minute, she put together these little films we made of our locations - and so much more- but I'll always remember the download chats we had on the way to and from location every day, when she talked me off of many ledges!
Check out more of her work here: sarah soquel morhaim
1. Favorite color and your Astrological sign?
2. If you could travel in time, to what moment, era, epoch would you go?
I'd really like to see what it was like the day before the big bang, and then on the day itself. Or Paris, France in the 1920s.
3. If the number 5 was a color, what color would it be?
4. In 3 sentences, or less, how did you get into your present line of work?
Drawing and painting as a child. Having a camera re-gifted to me when I was 14 that I used up until last spring when it broke. Working as a film projectionist at my university's cool cinema and watching three movies a shift.
5. If you were an animal what animal would you be?
A bird or a wild elephant.
6. Any memory about Beginners you'd like to share?
The rehearsal week at the Beverly Hills Hotel with Christopher and Ewan. Each morning making the long drive from the East side to Beverly Hills was like being magically transported to another time. Eating lunch in the diner in the basement and Christopher knowing all the waitresses, Cosmo the dog coming by and hanging out, sitting in on scene work, Ewan placing all the lunch orders for the "Hal's friends" lunch, being deliriously tired and busy but somehow everything getting done, finding Christopher's script with notes and reading through it.
7. You're leaving for a desert Island tonight, forever, you can bring one book and one record; which ones?
Cosmos by Carl Sagan. Odessey & Oracle by the Zombies.
8. If you were a character from the Muppets, which one?
Rizzo the Rat
9. If you had a memoir, what would the title be?
10. If you could ask me any question what would it be?
Does the drop merge with the ocean or the ocean with the drop?